Every singe time I get a piece of Kyanite in my hands, I wonder how such a beautiful thing can be this natural! The blues you encounter with this stone are just that.. fully and totally natural.
I can speak from experience on this as I had the pleasure of visiting a Kyanite location, many years ago, with the Sudbury Lapidary group during their annual field trip from the Rock and Gem show. If you have not gone, it’s well worth it. Check out their website for more info by clicking here.
That’s a really old picture of me trying to catch a break while looking through the rubble looking for various types of Kyanite (probably taken about 2003).
During this trip, I did actually find a few tiny pieces of Blue Kyanite, but nothing compared to the ones I currently have on my website. (You can see my Kyanite jewellery by clicking here)
The pieces up on my site have a lot more blue and white in them than some of the pieces that I was able to hunt down all those years ago.
Here’s a picture of a few of the rock samples we came home with that day.
If you look real close you will be able to see the lines in the stone. Look closer and you will begin to see the gray and very light blue shades hidden deep inside. Most of the stone is host rock with these picked pieces that we found, but it was nice to see tiny bits of kyanite included.
I have included below, mineral information that can help you to identify what’s in those samples as well 🙂
So now to the Kyanite I’ve been hording back from my site for a while. It is finally time for me to let some of these beauties find a new home.
You can see that the blue in this kyanite pendant is SUPER stunning!! Yes, that shade of blue is totally natural and made by Mother Nature herself.
No dye has been used to achieve this amazing blue shade.
Okay so what’s so great about this stone, besides the fact that it will catch just about everyone’s eye that’s around you and draw them to you?
Here’s a bit of info for you to enjoy and get to know this gem
Healing Properties of Kyanite
- It is a stone for the throat chakra. This chakra is all about speaking honestly and openly as well as creativity and self expression. This is an avenue for confidence and being able to speak from your heart.
- Is negative energy making you cranky? This gem can help you to feel protected from those slings and arrows being flung at you.
- Need to tap into your creative energy and find your muses? Give this gem a whirl and see if you can relax and find it within yourself to let go of what’s blocking those creative flows.
- Meditation – relax, de-stress.. you can let go of what is bothering you for a while and heal.
- Psychic powers and intuition – a great gem for those who work with divination to help you to trust your first instincts. It can also help you to find your spirit guide in times of need.
- If you are meditating on past life information and looking to find answers for a currently phobia that has no present roots in your life? Try working with this gem and see if it helps.
Mineral Information of Kyanite – thank you to the National Audubon Society book Rocks and Minerals (Which is awesome! Get yourself a copy if you are into rock hunting!)
- It comes in a variety of colours: blue, white, clear, gray, green, and almost black
- Streak colour for testing is colourless
- The crystals are Triclinic – more info here on Wikepedia
- MOHS scale of hardness: it depends on how this stone is cut – if it is length cut its 4 to 5. If it is cut across the stone it is harder at 6 to 7
- It is created by regional metamorphisms and often around quartz, biotite and almadine in gneiss and shist (basically a lot of what you see in the photo above of the rock samples collected in Sudbury Ontario.
If you are looking for more pieces of Kyanite or other beautiful gemstones, feel free to browse my website.. Wicked Stones
Cheers and thanks!